Thursday, December 1, 2011

Smart Thinking...






I’m always interested in clever ways to solve design problems. This one is interesting…


Light is likely one of the most important things on my wish-list for any home, so I’m always looking for ways to maximize it and let it travel freely through space. I’ve never done one, but a subterranean room would be a challenge. Dark, they often feel closed in, and given the choice, I’d much rather be upstairs, than down. Well except in this case…


In this renovation, featured in AD a while back, they created a sky light from the basement level by extending the room below ground and breaking through above. This is absolutely brilliant, not to mention pretty, both inside and out. This would be ideal for brownstone living, making the optimal use of space and light.


I call this “a keeper of an idea” – that’s why it’s been sitting here for however long in my save file…

No comments: