Monday, November 28, 2011

Back Stage Pass...





Living on 81st street is never more interesting than on Thanksgiving. It’s really fun here… The balloons for the Macy’s Day Parade are blown-up and staged between Central Park West and Columbus before the big parade.

The evening before you can view them under netting, but they’re at ground level, so it can be a guessing game. I wonder what that is? Everyone chimes in until someone figures it out. The streets around the museum have music, cotton candy in every color, and Starbucks stays open past midnight. The crowds that night are insane…

Size-wise the balloons are amazing and once they go all the way up, they're even more so. Under each is a dedicated crowd of people with ropes - getting them up, keeping them in place, and taking them down the street. With the wind blowing, I can’t imagine what that feels like... I wonder if they ever feel like they could lift-off? The first balloon out of 81st had water on top, so when they rounded the corner everyone got drenched – in the stands and underneath. Certainly not part of the plan…

Before experiencing it here, I had no idea what went into getting the balloons off to the races, as seeing it on TV, you miss all that. Here were some favorites: for me, Hello Kitty, for my nephews, Spiderman, and Kermit was a top pick too.

This year my family came here to celebrate. We haven’t done this since my middle nephew was a baby and my kitty was a kitten. Mom brought the food and I got the apartment ready – not the traditional day with the beautiful table like most years. Instead we crowded around my table, buffet style, but the food was amazing, and it was fun. And what better way to walk off the calories than a trip to Central Park? We couldn’t have asked for a better day. It was just as it should be, one to be thankful for…

No comments: