Wednesday, October 5, 2011

The Curved Variety...


I have an obsession with something few take notice of – doors. I write about them often, as there are so many interesting variations out there.

Way back when doors used to be over-scale, decorative, and architecture enhancing, but today they’re vanilla, forgettable, and completely unremarkable. Why? I select doors, like art, to enhance a space. The details I look for are: shape, texture, scale, design, and without question, great hardware.

In my trips to the salvage yard, I’ve seen many memorable doors I’d love to have, but rarely do I find ones like these – the ever-so-rare curved variety...

When shopping for a client recently though I spotted one that I have my eye on... It’s been in the shop for years. I’m sure nobody knows quite what to do with it and it needs work, but I hope it becomes mine eventually. It’s a typical French style glass door with a recessed panel on the bottom. The wood is curved and so is the glass. Great style but several panes are broken. My bet - replacing the curved glass will cost a small fortune. I need to do some investigative work to find out…

Curved doors are usually seen in round entrance halls – another thing on my list of must-haves. Something I’ve never had. These, featured in AD, are to die for…

Located in NYC and stunning alone, this room is part of a much larger gallery entrance hall. Wow - everything here has pizzazz… The curved doors were custom made. I love the polished metal grilles, the mirror, and the black against bright white. Look at the simple white floor with a geometric border. It’s perfect – a contemporary take on the classic and expected busier mosaic. The crown is also curved and I bet there’s cove lighting up there… No words.

PS: BTW that’s one lucky dog… He even looks happy. Wouldn’t you?

1 comment:

Dream Mom said...

Wow, that first photo is stunning. Just beautiful. I'd have to pinch myself if I lived there, lol.