Friday, August 26, 2011

Middle Ground…




NYC buildings in the “olden days” were required to build in an interior air shaft to ensure that everyone had access to windows and ventilation. This grew out of lessons learned in tenements - a design change to keep people healthy.

Most of the air shafts I’ve seen are depressing. In my last apartment I covered my windows facing in with patterned glass, so I could take advantage of the light but skip the view … The hallways on my current floor face vent pipes and mechanicals - an application of frosted glass changed the mood of the hallway in an instant.

BUT imagine if these air shafts were considered – pointed brick, iron balconies, flowers… It’s not so far-fetched when you see these images from Paris. THIS is what I’m talking about – no dreaded interior windows here…

Air shafts can be fairly large but the jumbo variety are REAL interior courtyards. These you can walk or drive though, like those at The Dakota or The Apthorp. There facing in can be as pretty as facing out – a view of the city or one of a private oasis. Yes and Yes.

Soooo maybe one day air shafts will become a treasured amenity. Imagine the possibilities…

No comments: