Monday, November 1, 2010

Dreamy Home Across the Pond…


I recently snagged the last copy of Livingetc. off the news stand, and in typical fashion it made my ride home on the subway fun – fun is not a usual term for a ride down under…

The Home of the Month feature brought me back to my very first renovation – a small row house in Baltimore, Maryland. Unlike the brownstones of NYC, in Baltimore the majority come with outdoor space + parking and most are individually owned. This completely changes the dynamics of renovations – more creativity, fewer limits. If I still owned mine the wrecking ball would be there to do just this - a sleek modern addition on a historic façade (the perfect blend of old world charm and today’s modern).

Located in London, this amazing home is a Georgian style townhouse. The store front facade is all traditional, while the back is VERY different – a modern glass tower. How lucky to have a bit of both worlds under one roof…

What looks like the first floor is actually the basement, and the massive 2-story door that brings the outside in is 16 feet tall. Wow. I’m in Love….

Owning this urban oasis would be like living in a garden and better yet, look at the abundance of light. Most attached or semi-attached homes are dark in the middle. Not this one. Even the balcony is glass, so maximum light streams through. And if that’s not enough, check out the double height ceiling above the dining table, it’s mirrored.

I’m blown away…

2 comments:

Valerie Wills Interiors said...

Your making me homesick.... I love that magazine.... and the townhouse is amazing!

Kelly Giesen said...

I do too - I've never lived there but visited and loved it...