Friday, May 21, 2010

ICFF 2010 – Customize It…


The International Contemporary Furniture Fair (ICFF) was last weekend, and I’m a little late getting this out there, but the flu set me back. In fact I must have been coming down with it then, which explains why my normally observant self was walking around in a fog. The consequence – I found much less to focus on, even though there was so much to see…

That aside, I was struck by a common thread - the willingness of most vendors to customize. All you have to do is ask.

Wallpaper – customize the image, the colors, even the texture. For instance, how about adding a layer of glass beads over the image to change it all together? Or why not print on mirrored plexi-glass for a metallic burnout image? And it’s not just about wallpaper, you can get pillows and lampshades custom printed as well. Fabric, change the color – no problem. Lighting - choose the color of the glass as well as the size and finish, or substitute chain for messy wires. Works for me…

Truly the sky is becoming the limit… And from one who always wants something a little different than the standard offering – this was all very exciting stuff. Remember Burger King’s, “ Have it your way”. From your burger to your home, it’s now possible more than ever before.

My only wish? That an entire year didn’t need to go by to see more. There are so many options out there. All I have to do is find them and add a little spin...

2 comments:

Red River Interiors,LLC said...

love your blog...it's so beautiful and full of good ideas... i hope i can keep up with all the tips. by the way wasn't it your small white apartment i saw on hgtv about 3 yrs ago on small space good design? i remember how soft and fashionable it was... loved it! ...Fay

kelly giesen said...

Thank you. Yes that was my space. It was a great place to live but I wanted a little more room so I moved down the hall and renovated again. I'm now on my third one in the same building. So glad you found my blog.