Thursday, February 25, 2010

A Wonderful Thing…


I have always wanted a butler’s pantry. A butler would be nice too, but right now I’ll settle for the pantry. In fact if I were designing a new space, this would be one of the first things on the list. Old houses had them in abundance. Why not now?

I have many sets of dishes, wine glasses, cake plates and vases, so when I see a butler’s pantry I am truly envious. A little room for prep and storage is a wonderful concept. I imagine arranging flowers here…

This one is especially cute. I love the curtain which provides a sneak peek, and helps hide messes on occasion. I am also drawn to the arched door and the curved marble counter. The floating open shelves keep the narrow room feeling spacious, and allow you to quickly grab what you need, while having a display area lets you fully appreciate what you have.

For me this room is about entertaining, so another bonus - the wine cubbies. Although I have never had the need nor the space for so many bottles at one time, I would love this too.

A butler’s pantry is like a walk-in closet, but for your kitchen - an old-style truly modern luxury. This time around my space will have a nice deep pantry which gets me one step closer to the real thing…

3 comments:

Dreams of Perfection said...

I wouldn't need all the bottle space either. For me that space would mean I could start stocking up on more crystal & silver pieces. And the pieces I have now can come out of the boxes and be shown proudly :o) Awe...to dream.

Dream Mom said...

I don't know why they don't build more pantries today. They are a necessity. Love the picture with the curtains.

I have a lot of dishes as well so in my dream kitchen, I envision a tall cabinet with adjustable shelves where I can store each set of dishes on their own shelf. I'd have another cabinet for tablescaping and a third for all of my appliances so I guess I either need a real pantry (room) or a wall of cabinets. I love being able to see everything at once. I also love the whole matching jars thing; it's so pretty to open up a door and see everything just perfect.

In my current apartment, I only had a single cabinet for food storage so I put my armoire in the dining room and used that as a pantry. It works really well and I have a lot of storage, not enough to hold all of my sets of dishes, but enough to hold all of the food, etc. and a few sets of placemats and dish towels.

Kelly Giesen said...

I plan to have my appliances and electricity in my pantry too which will be something new. Excited for that. An armoire is a great pantry.