Monday, February 1, 2010

Two for One…






It’s not everyday that you get two for one, especially these days, but for me its right around the corner…

One stop, two great reasons – creative design + amazing products.

One - The Design
I was at my favorite local Thai place, Land Thai Kitchen, waiting for takeout when I was drawn across the street by a new store front - Malin + Goetz. I quickly forgot about food and went to check it out.

I was taken in immediately. The space had a clean modern look straight on, but was flanked on both sides by floor to ceiling pieces of a reclaimed paneled room. You normally see this kind of thing in old mansions and the Met, not here. Beautiful on it’s own, they added a modern twist by cutting large round openings in the paneling to reveal shelves full of their products. Even I, the queen of "the reclaimed" have never tried this.

Playing on a theme of circles, they cut similar two similar rounds in a dropped ceiling to reveal the original tin ceiling above - also brilliant. And my favorite part - they modified a large arched window, curving it from the inside to create what appears to be a giant round window inside and out. OK, it doesn’t get better than that… I've been planning something very similar in my own space for months - more on that another day...

Two – The Products
I had never tried their products but I left with a bag and samples of new things to try. My friends did too. The Peppermint Body Scrub is so refreshing - love it. The Lip Moisturizer and the Detox Face Mask – got raves from all of us too. My next try is the Bergamot Body Wash– smells really gooood. They sell travel sizes too, another bonus when you are hooked on good products.

Interestingly enough, this story fits in perfectly with my new philosophy on how to get through a renovation: "In the absence of order and a pretty environment, make yourself comfortable and happy with products." Now this is a strategy I recommend because it works for me – if only for a second or two.

So go make yourself happy at Malin + Goetz on Amsterdamand 82nd – and pick up some Thai food while you are at it. Trust me you won’t be disappointed on either front…

http://www.malinandgoetz.com/

No comments: