Friday, January 29, 2010

Seven Circles

I found 7 circles at the salvage yard that will absolutely MAKE my apartment. The circles are actually cabinet doors with a classic recessed circle motif in the center. I have always loved this design so this was a very lucky score.

As it turns out I will need all seven – 2 pairs for my kitchen pantries, 1 pair for my bathroom linen closet, and a single for my bath tub. Funny how things come together sometimes - serendipitously finding the exact number I needed…

If you look around you will see this design many places – on buildings and in millwork. In older architecture it looks more traditional and yet the same design takes on a more retro look during the Hollywood Regency period (image 2) especially with the central placement of hardware. In my building, it appears on our landmarked façade, again on the lobby floor, and on the ironwork balconies outside my window.

I ran across it again in London on many front doors and in Buckingham Palace. Yes to my surprise my same panels flanked each window in the main State Room. And the best part about them? They were mirrored, which is what I plan to do with mine. Seems no idea has not been done before…

I tore the top photo out of W Magazine years ago and placed it in my save file for inspiration. I loved circles then and now, so much so in fact that I'm considering them for my bedroom transoms as well . We’ll see…

The Seven Circles – sounds like a sequel to the Di Vinci Code, but circles have always been a favorite design element of mine. They symbolize perfection and eternity, so my guess is they will look good in my space for a very long time…

5 comments:

MaryBeth said...

That will be lovely on a tub. I just hope you are not planning on painting it black like the one in the photo.

Kelly Giesen said...

No it will be a traditional bright white to match the tub or possibly a pale gray like my marble tile. Black anywhere in my apartment would be a BIG stretch for me.

Dream Mom said...

I love the circle on the door. Can't wait to see that in the renovation.

Julie said...

Good find! (I found your blog after months of thinking about your apartment(s) ... one fruitful google search later, here I am! I can't wait to see your current projects take shape.)

Kelly Giesen said...

Thank you. I am so glad you tracked me down...