Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Spotlighting Ironwork...




I love ironwork – especially the old. In the past, beautifully designed ironwork was commonplace in entrance doors, balconies, windows, and staircases. Not anymore, but walking through the neighborhoods here, I’m constantly reminded of how much ironwork brings to the ambiance of the street. Lucky for us, many grand old houses that still have it remain.

Sometimes I use similar ironwork found at the salvage yard to create something new. For two clients I created a custom console for their dining rooms out of old iron balconies. Both look very different, as each has the unique personality of the design I found. For myself I used a pair of iron grilles to create a set of closet doors. In another apartment I retrofitted a curly grille into a bathroom window to add an element of style. In another, an arched decorative air vent cover was perfect for hiding an ulgly electrical box.

I’m always on the look out for great pieces of iron and brainstorming ways to use them. In fact one day I managed to drag an iron balcony home step by step, until our building porter thankfully came with a dolly. It was Beautiful and sitting out for the trash, but really really heavy. I firmly believe where there’s a will, there’s a way…

Here are two examples of pretty iron furniture. I LOVE the design of this bed and the coffee table which are open, airy, and fun. And look how great this iron panel looks leaning up against the wall – a one-of-a-kind piece of architectural art.

No comments: