Tuesday, November 17, 2009

On A Budget or Not...





I am working on a project for a couple who is renting a space which lacks overhead lighting. Changing this is not an option, so we moved to plan B – adding something that mimics a fixture in style, without electricity, and without breaking the bank.

One Solution – A Paper Ball Lantern

The look is inspired by my favorite high end spherical fixtures – having impact without looking cheap. During my last renovation I lived in a studio very briefly which had a very large scale paper ball in the center of the main living space, and it looked great.

Second Option with More Texture – A Flower Ball

This ended up being our winner. Finding a large scale version was the key to making it look more upscale. Smaller ones if grouped together or a mix of large and small would also work. We settled on one big one over the dining table and it looks absolutely fantastic. In fact, this above anything else in the room instantly transformed the feel of the space.

Expensive & Amazing – The Feather Ball
I have posted on this by itself as I just LOVE it. This would make a statement in any room and is a personal favorite of mine, but only if you have lots of money to spend. It comes as a large scale sphere and also now as a ring and floor lamp. I can’t say enough…

Chandeliers add light and an element of sculpture to a space. For me having one makes all the difference in the world. If you don’t have electricity, don’t let that stop you - consider it a piece of art.

See for yourself: high or low end – a winner either way.

No comments: