Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Mirror, Mirror Beyond the Wall...




I love mirror and can find uses for it practically everywhere. In my kitchens I always place it in the back of cabinets as it makes display items come alive. I also consider it as an alternative to clear glass in French doors and cabinet doors when I want to hide the contents behind. The cabinet in the top photo has mirror in the center, and it looks great, but I would mirror the cubes as well.

In my upcoming bedroom I am planning to mirror the back of my shoe closet to add an element of glamour and expand the small space, but primarily to keep it clean. Shoes always create such a mess in the closet, and why repaint or scrub when a little Windex will do the trick?

Mirror or silver leaf wallpaper in my clothes closets are two options under consideration, but it always helps to be inspired firsthand. One day I came upon a new little shop in Grand Central, and was completely drawn in as much by the store itself as to what was in it. They placed mirror behind all the clothes and accessories (plain and beveled) and everything looked instantly prettier and bigger. In a similar way I like the way Trina Turk’s boutique in Palm Springs also sparkles with mirror – this time with mirrored tiles. I love retail for a little closet inspiration.

From now on I plan to embrace the idea of displaying clothes at home in a fashionable way that is also easier to keep clean. A win - win.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kelly,
I am a closet junkie, having turned an entire bedroom in our home into my personal closet/workout space/ironing board, etc...who needs guests? Ha Ha...
Anyway, I highly recommend the Joy Mangano, Huggable Hangars that you can purchase off QVC. Besides being super for your clothes, they come in a bevy of color choices as well as either gold or silver hangar parts...I chose the brown with gold hangar...but I think you would like the white, beige, or even the pale blue...talk about looking good reflected in the mirror...
Just a thought!!!
Mikki