Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Sideways





There are bookshelves and there are bookshelves….

From the first time I saw this design by Kelly Wearstler in the Viceroy Hotel, I absolutely loved it. It looks great, functions well, and challenges typical reason. This design is used frequently in wine cellars and kitchens, not book shelves, but why not? The cube concept is similar, but when turned on it’s side - even better.

For me to love a bookshelf in plain view is very much out of character. I have a lot of design books and magazines, but prefer a more clutter free look, so they are accessible but out of sight. That said I would have this bookshelf in my office in a minute. To customize it, you could add antique mirror or reflective paper in the back. A subtle pattern or color would also look great.

At the Junior League House Tour last weekend I saw the sideways bookshelf shown here in all white. Needless to say I was smitten ALL over again. Someday...

1 comment:

Dream Mom said...

Wow, I just love the first photo-the black bookshelves really pop against the yellow. It's a wonderful way to display a lot of books plus it looks fresh.