Friday, April 20, 2012

Guilty Pleasure…


A friend who knows me well turned me on to my newest guilty pleasure on TV – Million Dollar Contractor on the DIY network. This is my kind of reality…renovations, the hiccups, and the finish all in 30 minutes. OK, I’m hooked.

Steve Fanuka, the star of the show, is a local trained by his father as a cabinet maker. Talk about the right training. I Love cabinet makers - they literally make dreams come true. The show is a mix of seeing how the other half lives, finding out where the other half’s contractor gets things made, and seeing where the money’s spent.

In a recent rerun they featured Nate Berkus’s home renovation in the village. His walk-in closet was custom cabinetry from floor to VERY high 14 foot ceiling. Wow - the final product was To Die For. They also showed the custom fabrication process of 4 metal industrial French style casement doors. I’ve always loved these but have never had them made. As expected they’re not cheap – $4,000 a pop. No wonder I love them so much…

Working with contractors is fun – they’re characters, craftsman, and problem solvers all in one, and he’s no exception. Soooo if you’re looking for a guilty pleasure’s worth of renovation inspiration through the eyes of a very talented and entertaining contractor – tune in or better yet, DVR your way to happiness…

http://www.diynetwork.com/million-dollar-contractor/show/index.html

http://fanuka.com/html/

No comments: