Monday, September 12, 2011

Look-Alike...


Sometimes a look-alike is all you need to get the style and design you want on the easy… It's the classic pleather vs. leather, real-looking over the real thing.

In the latest issue of AD, the backside of Donnie Deutsch’s terrace is given a face lift with a waterfall installation of faux boxwood. What a dramatic way to dress up a mundane exterior wall! LOVE it… This treatment will look great all year round and provide a much needed daily dose of green. But the best part? Low maintenance.

I chose this same option for myself on my Juliet balconies, and honestly whether at street or eye level, you can’t tell it from the real deal. There’s scaffolding and a sidewalk bridge outside my window now and the view is awful - with or without my faux foliage. I’m counting the days or most likely months until it’s gone…

Anyway….this 1889 townhouse went modern and according to my salvage dealer, a lot of amazing character was lost. I saw an image of the winding iron staircase that was replaced by straight lines in glass and steel. The original was drop-dead gorgeous - a fantastic score for some lucky renovator. I never understand it – if you’re looking for sleek and modern, why buy a landmarked façade and scrap the rest? Seems crazy, but the terrace is a stunner…

1 comment:

pve design said...

I can understand both side of the story. I appreciate the old and then the modern update does take courage.
pve