Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Commercial Cool….

I started my weekend with a drop-by to the Chelsea Market. There’s an Anthropologie I hadn’t seen yet. I love that store – it’s a constant explosion of creativity. The windows alone are works of art, and the design choices they make are always entertaining.

The dressing room was done in raw barn wood with closet poles for hanging. It felt like you were changing in a mini walk-in closet. This is smart - no more stuffing what you have on a few spare hooks, here you’ve got a whole bar.

I also loved the tone on tone crème mosaic marble floor. The fan-inspired pattern is subtle with lots of movement. I’ve had this on my wish list for a while, but until now I’d only seen it on a sample board. Experiencing it live is WAY better, and being there confirmed my suspicions – it stays on my wish list.

BUT my new favorite thing, something unique to this store, is a wallpaper station – sample boards to flip through and bins of stock you could grab from and go. Whether you want one roll or several, it’s there. This is great - especially if framing “wallpaper as art” is what you’re after.

I want a store on the Upper West. In fact there’s a vacant very large commercial space that would be perfect for one right across the street from me. I would love to look out my window and see their windows. Maybe I should drop them a line just in case they’re considering. On second thought, it could be detrimental to my bank account…

I did get some scoop while I was there – they’re opening an uptown store, but on the wrong side - the East Side and who knows where. At least they are getting closer. The next stop – preferably outside my window…

No comments: