Friday, April 22, 2011

2006 Archive…


This kitchen from Traditional Home 2006 has been in my save file for a while, and after all this time, it’s still a keeper…

The wall of storage here has a butler’s pantry-like look, yet unlike many others, everything here is concealed behind mirror. Mirrors can be your biggest asset – they give a room a crisp clean look while hiding things you use but don’t want to see. Other pluses - they expand the space, add light, and reflect ceiling fixtures and molding. For every one of these reasons, I use them in my renovations again and again…

Imagine placing mirror behind the open shelves and spot lighting it. I would do this in a minute, as reflections make pretty objects even prettier. BUT don’t be fooled….The really cool thing is knowing what’s actually here:

The middle is not display space at all - it’s a dumbwaiter. Truly I’m in love…

Another surprise – a staircase hides behind one of the doors. You would never ever know…

This is similar to a wall in my own kitchen, which I will show you in the next few weeks. It’s still ‘under construction” as it is integrated with the only remaining piece of the apartment that still looks as it did before I got here – my entrance door.

Easter is a time for a lot of cooking, so hopefully your kitchen is a place you want to be. I love being in mine. I love this one too. After all, years after I tore it out, it continues to inspire me, and now maybe you too... But even better than that - for someone out there, it’s home.

2 comments:

Dream Mom said...

It's just so pretty. I love kitchens like that.

Can't wait for the big reveal; I am sure you are anxious as well to put the renovation behind you.

Kelly Giesen said...

I am ready to finsh and take a little break and just enjoy it for a while...