Monday, September 13, 2010

More Retail Inspiration


In the latest Veranda on page 31, no surprise what I was drawn to – more Parisian architecture. The Balmain Shop in Paris is spot on perfect from the original plaster moldings, to the doors, to the amazing floors – all winners. Never mind the shopping, I would live there in a minute.

But look at the shelves that blend seamlessly into the original architecture. Surrounded in panel molding, they look as though they’ve always been there. I place mirror in the back of shelves a lot. These are mirrored on all sides - even the shelves themselves are mirrored. Pretty, pretty….a keeper of an idea for sure.

I love retail inspiration and frequently shop for design inspiration alone. When I first moved to New York there was a shop just off 5th Avenue on 56th called Felissimo. I used to drop in just experience the glamorous curved staircase, the doors, and the moldings. It was like stepping back in time and restored to perfection. Every floor was breathtaking and the top floor was a tea salon – heaven. It was built as a residence, then became a shop, then a gallery and now I’m not sure what – it’s closed to the public. And although that experience is gone, I’m still thankful. How else could I get into places I love and would otherwise never see? I wish I knew of more...

So this got me thinking - are there any shops that have left a lasting impression on you? If so please share…

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kelly,
I love Act II in Seaford. Dennis has used a variety of vintage items and furniture to display his fresh and artificial arrangements. As it is also his home, he has blended that seemlessly into the work area. If you consult with him, you are in his living room downstairs. I think what I really love about the place is that it was originally a brick and clapboard Craftsman bungalow with 2 dormered balconies in the front. The stunning stained mouldings, french doors, and hardwood floors, not to mention the fireplace surrounds, are still in tact and create a bohemian atmosphere with all of Dennis' eclectic taste in decor. He is the ONLY florist I use in Seaford...he "gets" me when he designs my flowers.

kelly giesen said...

I remember Act II in the older part of town - pretty big old houses. I remember the outside but not the inside. Great explanation of the details. Mom loved it there too. Wow Denny lasted the test of time, which proves good taste is timeless... Thanks for bringing me back.