Wednesday, August 4, 2010

On An Upward Spiral...

A spiral staircase is never ideal, but at times necessary, especially in a tight space. I’ve often thought if I had one, I would follow the Project Runway mantra and “make it work”.

Instead of in plain view, this staircase shown in New York Spaces is placed in it’s own little room, tucked in behind a traditional paneled arch. Encasing it in high end reflective walls and polished accessories, it takes a very different turn - modern and memorable.

I LOVE how they used reverse painted glass for transparency and it’s ability to reflect light from above. It also creates a very faint mirror image which opens up the tight space and gives it two fold appeal - sexy and pretty. I’ve always admired this look and have it on my must-try wish list.

And they didn’t stop there…

Accented with polished portholes and molding, the end result is nothing short of fantastic. I love the look of a porthole, and actually spent some time trying to work one into my new bathroom. Seeing this, I’m re-inspired…

I started out writing about the staircase and ended up everywhere but there. I’d say this making it work idea is perfect - A+ interesting and inspiring all the way around...

1 comment:

Friend_on_12 said...

Just when I thought I had abandoned the spiral staircase altogether. The portholes are such a cool unexpected accent. Makes me reconsider...