Monday, June 14, 2010

Pattern - Think Nail Heads...

I love a nail head detail on upholstery, especially in a polished chrome or nickel. They introduce that little bit of extra polish, sparkle and shine.

But every once in a while a designer will take them to the next level and create a more extensive design – this chair went from plain to eye catching. And the best part? The possibilities are endless. Imagine the patterns you could create…

But why limit them to upholstery? I was in a shop recently where they used the nail heads to add some interest to patterned wallpaper. By adding a polished nail randomly in the center of certain flowers, the pattern was raised up off the wall. What a great idea. It looked fantastic…

As an alternative, I have also seen nail heads used in place of wallpaper or molding to add pattern and texture to an otherwise plain wall. This idea is also a winner, and comes at very little cost. All you need is a little creativity and a hammer...

BTW, I couldn’t help but notice the cabinet in the next room. It's really amazing. It’s just a peek, but I really wish we could see more…

2 comments:

Nichole Loiacono said...

You said it sister...I LOVE nail head...any way I can get it!

Unknown said...

I love the nail head design, but I REALLY love that cabinet. I adore white furniture and the pattern on the front is great. Thanks for pointing it out. I've never done anything with the nail head treatment before, but I'm inspired to try.