Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Open Minded...


Since moving to NYC I’ve been living open concept – kitchen open to the living space, and in the case of my studio, to the bed as well. I had never lived this way anywhere else before, but now I wouldn’t have it any other way…

Open living makes for great conversations and encourages lots of entertaining. It also gives you this overall sense of having space – something that’s hard to come by in the city.

Not too long ago I experienced “that feeling” firsthand in my own building. One of my neighbors had the same apartment as mine on a lower floor. They bought the one next door and did my dream – a combination. During the renovation they blew out all the walls on my side of the apartment to create one very large modern open living space – kitchen, dining, living. When I walked in the door I was immediately blown away. The feeling in the very same space was so so different, and needless to say absolutely amazing… Literally it looked 3 times as big. I had the urge to run upstairs with a sledgehammer in hand, BUT then remembered I did not own the one next door, and if I removed the walls I’d be back to living in a studio. OK, not happening…

This brings me to 2 spaces I’ve seen recently that had the wide open feeling I love. Both of these have raised/pitched ceilings which is also a favorite in my book:

Elle Décor – Meg Ryan’s Home
This place is so compelling and simple, yet also very detailed - instantly I was hooked. I love the ceiling height and the use of very high interior windows to let light travel between rooms. The white color palate makes it modern, and is instantly versatile if she ever decides to redecorate on a whim. And don’t get me started on the kitchen – also wonderful. Well basically I love everything really. In fact, if this was my weekend home I would never come home during the week.

New York Times Thursday Home Section – Melanie Brandman’s Catskills Cottage Renovation
She is Australian and wanted to live on the water, so she bought a fixer-upper on a lake. “Australian design has very much open plan: big doors that open out, very clean and minimalist”. No wonder I like Australian designers so much… Well she set out and got just that. By taking walls down and removing a mudroom, she designed a great room - the ultimate relaxing home away from home. See for yourself…

Less is more - less walls that is....

2 comments:

MaryBeth said...

I love Meg Ryan's house. I just can't believe this is only her vacation house, how lucky. Do you think she might rent it for part of the season?

Kelly Giesen said...

If she ever leaves...hahaha