Thursday, May 27, 2010

Going for Symmetry…

I love the balanced look of symmetry, although I also enjoy a curve ball now and again. Today I’m focusing in on repetition and mirror images.

Recently I went with my Dad to Charleston and Savannah – loved them as I knew I would. In fact I can’t wait to go back. Savannah was all about repetition – square after beautiful square.

Dad was a trooper going on one house tour after another – eventually maybe we can hit them all. I felt like we heard the same story over and over again: each house was finished down to the last detail, only to be lost shortly thereafter with a downturn of fortune, sold, and then eventually declined into disrepair… Sad, but all’s well now - once again loved, they are back to their original grace. Thank goodness…

There’s is so much to learn from old architecture, so I try and soak in everything I can. What struck me most during this trip was a prevailing theme of symmetry. The architects of these amazing homes, the finest of the day, went to great lengths to ensure it was there, even inserting faux symmetry on occasion over function.

For instance, of a pair of doors in a room, only one was a real door. The other was there just for balance or to conceal a very shallow cabinet behind. In the case of a pair of oval windows, where one was real, the second one was faux and mirrored. I had to laugh. If I proposed this to my contractor he would say, “Kelly, that does not make any sense. You can’t do that.” Well apparently it’s not such a crazy idea, as I saw it again and again.

I love this image from Interiors as demonstrates symmetry to a tee. This bookcase is amazing, from the overall symmetrical design to the use of mirror. And the pair of identical chairs facing each other is so cozy – I would LOVE to sit here and chat. Check out the accessories, repetition yet again.

So cheers to mirror images – the real and the not so real. Because it’s all good…

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I too love symmetry. I really can't deal very well with asymmetry, as much as I would like too. There is just something so comfortable with everything being in balance. It brings a calm to my soul. Sounds like you had a great trip with your Dad. I envy that.

kelly giesen said...

I totally agree - it is calming. It was really nice to be away from the renovation for awhile and have time to catch-up in such a pretty place. I wish I could do that more...