Friday, April 2, 2010

Quiet Design…




More finds from the Architectural Digest Show…

I’m always looking for new and different and the Forbes & Lomax gave me both. They may also help me live with one of my biggest pet peeves - outlets and switches. Yes we need them, but boy are they ugly... I prefer a quieter design.

Where I can, I try and place them in less prominent spots, but sometimes it’s not possible, or the decision’s already been made. In wallpapered spaces, you can cover the plates, but sometimes they just look messy.

Forbes & Lomax created an invisible, or as much as it can be, outlet for your painted or papered wall. They also designed switches and knobs in various metallic finishes which are soooo much nicer to look at than the usual switch or dimmer – perfect for a modern or traditional space.

Here’s how it works…

A clear piece of lucite covers a thin screwless plate which is mounted flush to the wall. The under plate gets covered - you can either paint it to match your wall or paper over it. The result is a vanishing act.
I’ll take mine in polished chrome or nickel, please… I really need to figure out where I can work these in, as I already have what I need, but these are too fantastic to wait another renovation for.

There’s only one thing missing – they don’t currently support any remote control dimmer capabilities, and I being a little lazy at times also have to have them, but fingers crossed, before my next renovation, they will…

http://www.forbesandlomax.com/About_us.html

3 comments:

Friend_on_12 said...

Click!! What a brilliant solution; it gives such a clean finished look. I agree, the dimmer capability is a must-have. I can't imagine that product line is far away.

Kelly Giesen said...

I am thinking the kitchen, bath and outlets for sure.

I am thinking they would look great on 12...eventually.

Dreams of Perfection said...

Wow this is genius. I love the little switch that looks so high tech & slick! LAHV it. Especially with the lucite plate.