Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Disappearing Act…

I'm president of the pocket door fan club. They are so smart and one of the best ways to save space. Anytime you can take away the door swing, you give yourself more space and many more possibilities.

In my last apartment I had a very large pocket door between the bedroom and bathroom. One side was beautiful horizontal raised panels and the other was a full length mirror. I absolutely loved that door… This time I'll also have a pocket into the bath. This one is an amazing French door mirrored on both sides – 9 feet by 3 feet and over 3 inches thick. Talk about solid. It has little wheels on the bottom otherwise it's way too heavy to move.

If I could have worked other pockets into my plan I would. You have to have a place they can slide into, room for the pocket, and a contractor that fully understands what to do. The alternative is to lose the pocket and expose the sliding door and hardware – also a great look if the door and hardware is pretty enough.

I especially love the look of double doors that disappear into the wall and build anticipation for the room beyond. This is quite common in old houses. The doors are usually massive and full of great character, so they look pretty open or closed half way. They allowed you to open several rooms together in a more modern way, or close them down into smaller more private spaces. Brilliant…

Here is a perfect example of the power of pocket doors today. These retro modern entry doors are so gorgeous they capture your attention right away, almost making you forget to look further. And the room is no disappointment either - absolute perfection ceiling to floor. I saw this and instantly fell in love…

8 comments:

Nichole Loiacono said...

If you are president, I'll be vice president! I LOVE pocket doors. They add such character and interest, not to mention are super practical. I agree whole-heartedly...pocket doors are are must, given the opportunity!

Kristi@SuiteEnvy said...

Sign me up for Secretary please! Pocket doors are the best, aren't they.

Friend_on_12 said...

I'll step up as Treasurer! These are to die for and are going right on my growing list of must-haves. I love the detail on these doors; so pretty even partially unpocketed.

Dreams of Perfection said...

This is definitely an exclusive club! These types of details can make a house into something special. You are never one to overlook what's most important in design, the details. Can I check your sleeves, you have a lot of tricks up them!

Hamptontoes said...

If you are president, then I'll be vice-president...I so love pocket doors. Wish that I had them!

Hamptontoes said...

I've come back to look at the black pocket doors again...so fabulous! Also, I've added your blog to the list of blogs I enjoy on my blog. Nice work!

Kelly Giesen said...

Well it seems we ALL love them. And these in particular are amazing. I may have some like these made for myself one day.

gabrielle904 said...

Kelly,
Oh my goodness, In the 50's these could be the doors to heaven......I think I can see them going into Florida....
Thank you for finding, expanding and sharing the ideas....