Friday, February 19, 2010

Choosing A Grout Color


This post was inspired by a great question about choosing a grout color. This process is strikingly similar to choosing a paint color, but besides looking good, will it continue to look good (aka clean) over time?

My last two bathrooms were Calcutta - a marble with a stark white background and gray or taupe veining. Very pretty, but I can’t say I wasn’t originally concerned about the grout getting dirty, even despite my best scrubbing efforts.

The dilemma - do I go with white to blend with the background and fight against dirty lines, or do I choose a color that hides the dirt?

My solution was a bit of both. On the floor a pale gray was subtle and blended well with the veining. By contrast, white disappeared on the walls, and was easy to keep clean. This solution provided the best of both worlds, and it worked like a charm. In fact I can honestly say my floors looked as good the day I left, as the day they went in.

This time around with mosaics the joints are minimal, so very little grout will show. I did a test run with a pale gray, but was surprised to find it fell flat and muted the design, so I chose a bright white instead. I’m confident over time it will continue to look good, as the floor is made of many shades of gray – the exact color of dust and dirt. But the best part? Whether clean or dirty, nobody will ever know. This may make me a little lazy in the cleaning department – even better, time saved for more fun things…

4 comments:

Dream Mom said...

That was good information. I noticed you didn't mention a sealer for the grout-do you ever use them? If so, do you need to reapply them every so often? Thanks.

Dreams of Perfection said...

I never thought about grouting the wall a different color from the floor. Necessary details I would've easily overlooked. Can't wait to see the outcome of your floors.

Unknown said...

Great info. Now if only my bank account could support my love of this look!

Kelly Giesen said...

Yes sealing is very important especially with marble. The overall surface is sealed after it is grouted. The sealer is not cheap but is easy to apply. I have never reapplied however with mosiac I likely will. Counters should be sealed as well, especially with a polished finish.