Monday, October 19, 2009

You Can’t Always Get What You Want…


Lately I have that song playing in my head - this time regarding my kitchen appliances.

Months ago while looking at cabinets, I fell in love unexpectedly with a cook top. It was perfect in every way - polished, stylish, unique. I had to have it, so I headed to the Smeg Showroom for a look. Their wall ovens were equally great looking with mirror-like or white glass finishes, so I was thrilled. And better yet, they blend seamlessly into the cabinetry for a high-end,clean-lined look.

I made my decision on the spot, without another thought,until the other day when I talked to my contractor. Apparently wall ovens require electricity above the load available on my floor, and to get additional power, I would have to spend thousands of dollars to bring it upstairs - not a worthwhile option, even for love.

So with much disappointment, I ruled out electric and went looking for a gas oven. I went everywhere and found very few makers. Viking had one and I thought my problem was solved - not so. It turns out gas ovens cannot be installed below the counter and must be placed higher up on the wall. This completely ruined my kitchen design, so I had to say goodbye to my cooktop. I was crushed…

I have not run across this issue before, but apparently it is a common problem in Manhattan – who knew?

Check out the Smeg website for their appliances and if you have the power, add them to your wish list. They are absolutely still on mine…

http://smegusa.com/Catalogue/Catalogue.aspx

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Believe me Kelly... you had an easy escape!
I fell in love and bought the mirrored oven and now it takes for ever and ever and ever to keep clean!! A real niusance!
Ciao from a huge fan from Italy!