Monday, September 14, 2009

Lazy Days...



I am subletting a studio while the real dirty work is happening in my new place. With that has come an interesting trial experience – sleeping on a Murphy bed.

It hides behind 2 doors and pops down very easily at night. I have never experienced one before, but I have to say, I’m liking it. I am now officially the laziest girl in the world, never bothering to make my bed in the morning - one quick push and I am on my way.

Most of the Muphy beds you see are in one of those 70’s looking Formica cabinets. I am convinced this could easily be done well by blending it into the architecture behind a set of magnificent doors and great molding. My current Murphy situation has lighting inside. I would take this to the next level with pretty wallpaper that could only be seen when the bed was open – a great surprise. I would also incorporate a faux headboard in fabric.

If I lived in another studio, I would go this route. Having the extra floor space for the majority of the time when you need it would be great for living and entertaining, and give the illusion of a much larger space. This option is also perfect for guests - no guest room needed and no blowing up a bed, giving up your bed, or sleeping on the couch - love it.

On the concept of a Murphy bed, don’t knock it until you try it. If you think the mattress is thin and uncomfortable, it’s not – it's absolutely on par with any normal bed. After this experience I have to say I am completely sold…

1 comment:

Dream Mom said...

That is good information. I have always wondered about that. The other thing I wondered about it how sturdy it would feel, especially if you were in it with another person. I've seen some high quality Murphy beds before but still, you wonder.

I like the idea of wallpaper inside. It might even be kind of interesting to have wallpaper that is framed on the outside (like the yellow wallpaper photo in the living room on your site the other day) and then to have it again on the inside. I always like a little bit of a surprise.