Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Cleverly Unseen...


The kitchen in the last Kipps Bay Decorator’s Showhouse gave me food for thought – just as a kitchen should…

The over sized island had a pull out bench that I really liked. The bench was perfectly integrated into the cabinetry, so it was completely out sight when tucked under – you didn’t even know it was there. Placed on wheels, when pulled out, it offered seating for two. The seat cushion was missing, but the idea was a great one.

I think hidden entrances, closets, and furniture are fun. In fact on my recent visit to Buckingham Palace I saw a similar concept in one of the State Rooms – a hidden door camouflaged behind a small cabinet and very large mirror. I am not quite sure how they pulled it off, as the mirror alone surely weighed a ton! No pictures were allowed or I would have snapped one to show you. A Murphy Bed is similar, in that the overall concept is the same – hide it from view when not in use.

I am considering some hidden options in my current renovation – contractor willing. Stay tuned…

No comments: