Monday, July 2, 2012

Another World...




There's a whole other world in this city that most of never ever see…   

High above street level on top of many buildings there are entire houses constructed up on the roof.  This is one of them.  In my first apartment I use to stare at one in particular across the way from my apartment overlooking Central Park. It was brick, multi-level, and surrounded by gardens - absolutely fantastic.  I always wondered who lived there.  Years later when attending an open house with a friend I saw it in person.  Turned out, it was not at all what I had imagined and in fact not a house at all.  It was a beautiful roof space and a brick façade covering the water tower.  I was soooo disappointed.    

This is not one of those – it’s the real deal.  There's a similar space to this one in plain view from our roof deck and again I wonder who lives there – for real…      

4 comments:

gb said...

If this is one on West Broadway and Warren that I drool at every day from my office window, then I believe it is the pied a terre of a Montana (Wyoming?) cattle rancher who only uses it a few times a year and at Christmas. I've been trying to scheme a way to land that house-sitting gig for the past year!

Unknown said...

Actually your creative writing skills has inspired me to start my personal BlogEngine weblog now.

Bathtub reglazing nj
Bathroom tile refinishing

Unknown said...

As I walk the streets of NYC, I too wonder, "Who lives there?" Part of the excitement of living here, for me, is appreciating the architecture and design.
I just saw your segment , featuring you UWS home, and
WOW! I LOVE your kitchen! Awesome, beautiful, glowing--I am So inspired! Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

Oh, the segment was on NBC/Open House, NYC!
Thanks again!