Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Color Spatter…




These last few days have been a lot of running around....

Not the tiring rat race kind – the fun kind… The NY Gift Show is once again in town, and I pretty much covered it – the Piers and Javits Center aisle by aisle. Honestly there’s so much to see by the end of each day, my head is spinning… I love going though, it’s a great way to find new products and meet new vendors. It ‘s also the perfect way to get re-energized and inspired – especially in the dull of winter.

Here is one of the things I saw and loved – spatter wallpaper by Audrey Sterk. She’s used her talent as a decorative painter to create these and several other adaptations of her work. The inspiration for this one comes from spatterware ceramics which came here from England in the early 1800's. The Americanized version was adapted from this by the Pennsylvania Dutch for furniture, walls, and floors. And now here it is again - this time with a modern twist.

Imagine hanging this in a kid’s room. It looks so authentic - like you may have done it yourself, but although it looks effortless, I’ll bet the DIY version would never look this good… It comes in 3 colors: morning, afternoon, and evening (my favorite). And that’s not all. She also offers one better – custom colors. Need I say more?

http://www.audreysterk.com/

Seeing it makes me happy. It reminds me of some early work my sister and I did one Christmas with wax. Much to Mom’s dismay we dipped our fingers in candle wax and dripped it all over the Christmas Story she had open and bookmarked in our living room. I guess we thought the Bible would be more Christmassy in red and green polka dots. I actually remember doing this. It was so much fun – warm and it turned your fingers colors... Thinking back though, I’m not sure what we were doing in the LIVING ROOM as that was pretty much off limits to us, but somehow we managed.

This decoration had always been an annual tradition of Mom’s, but after that year she changed it up a bit… It stayed as is – polka dots and all. That way we could all have a good laugh every year, long into the time when we were actually allowed in the living room...

2 comments:

kate88 said...

Hi Kelly,

I just discovered your blog and love it!

I came across the picture of your previous bedroom with the iridescent damask wallpaper. I have been looking everywhere for something similar and was wondering where you found yours?

Thanks so much

Kate

Kelly Giesen said...

So glad! That paper as by Ulf Moritz - part of the Scala Collection distributed by Romo. It was so pretty and very hard to top. I'd do it again in a minute...