Monday, January 23, 2012

Captivating Fretwork…


I received an email with vacation destinations last week, and couldn’t help but be drawn into the fantasy. Aside from the expectation of amazing natural surroundings, decorating is also part of the deal, as most of us want inside spaces that fit the daydream too – a place that looks whisked away and different from what we have at home.

This room is located who knows where, as I jumped around a lot in search of my dream vacation, but wherever it is, it stopped me for a minute or two. Look at this fretwork. It definitely creates that far-away look while providing some mystery as well… What’s behind there - the next room, a closet, a bath, a dressing room? Who knows... I may need to go there to find out.

Every once in a while I run across fretwork screens in antique stores but they’re never quite large or tall enough to do something like this with. If only I had a source for buying it new – a place where I could choose the pattern, or design one, in any shape and size I wanted. OK, I’m daydreaming again…

This image sends me back to my second renovation in Baltimore, where the original fretwork was still in place. Unlike the panels shown here, it was overhead, separating the kitchen from the dining space. I was up on a ladder sanding it for days - certainly not the most fun I ever had, but memorable… Not the sanding, I’d rate that up there with raking leaves, but the fretwork. Just gorgeous…

No comments: