Wednesday, August 3, 2011

The Sectional...

For me “sectional” used to conjure up images a giant piece of furniture that swallowed a room - usually the tacky floatation device-like variety in someone’s basement. I’m sure you remember these too, and if you Google sectional, they’re still out there…

But done well, these amazing pieces can be the answer to your prayers – space and entertaining-wise. In a smaller room a sectional can tuck back in a corner – giving you maximal floor space for living. It can also double as a guest bed. This sofa is great when you have a crowd - social from a conversation perspective and very loungy.

The best ones are not at all thick, bulky, or overpowering. They have a trim profile, slight arms, and exposed legs. I’ve seen some really cool ones from the 50 or 60’s too from straight to curvy. The vintage varieties are many times super long with over eight feet per side - clearly not for small spaces. Some even had table- like inserts between the sections. If you run across a vintage one, many times the pieces have been broken up so only a section or two survived.

If you’re tight on space Jonathan Adler’s Danner sectional is ideal. The chaise alone works very well as a sofa in a pinch. Add a cluster of fun pillows to soften the angles and a throw for personality, and you’re all set. You can also customize it with your own fabric if you wish - super cute...

I still remember my first great sectional experience. Way back when living in Baltimore, I went to a small dinner party. I can’t remember the food, other than this amazing spicy corn salsa, but I do remember falling in love…with their sofa. It stuck, and ever since I’ve had a cool sectional on my wish list. The challenge is finding the right one, and staying in one place long enough so it continues to work.

The ideal sectional has to have right combination of scale, style, and direction (turning left or right depending on your room). Finding all that in one is not easy…. My sister found a pair of great 60’s loungers and had them reupholstered for her outside porch. They’re perfect inside or out.

No comments: