Thursday, June 30, 2011

On Top…

I’m fascinated by bunk beds, so much so I can’t resist continuing to post about them. There are so many fun variations out there to talk about... To me they’re the perfect solution for guests, kids, and weekend homes - especially when space is tight.

This one, featured in the NY Times this week, does double duty in a tiny weekend home – a couch and bed all in one. Smart thinking – the upper bunk is cleverly tucked above in the peak of the roof line. I imagine some serious negotiating going on over who would get to sleep there if you were a kid. A rock-paper-scissors moment for sure…

Seeing this also reminded me of our camper growing up. We had a sleeping bunk above the driver’s cab, a window so we could see outside, and privacy curtains. This was the place my sister and I slept and we loved it.

Taking a cue from this experience, if this were my room, I’d add windows in the bunk area and a sturdier library-style ladder. Somehow, I must admit, the idea of climbing ropes is not quite as fun as it used to be...

No comments: