Monday, March 7, 2011

Collaging...


I’m not sure this is a real word after you add the ing but it works for me…

A collage according to the Thesaurus means patchwork, random collection, or clutter. Clutter is my worst fear and I strive to avoid it at ALL costs. My main mission is pretty consistent - declutter everywhere…

Recently I was working with a client who has several pieces of art leaning against the walls. She wanted help choosing which ones to hang and advice on how to arrange them on the wall. Sure I can do that, but truthfully this was wayyyy outside my comfort zone. All I saw was clutter...

Traditionally I put very little on walls and prefer large single pieces of art vs. a randomized cluster. For me, it’s hard to find one piece to love, much less several. In addition, for a collection to really work, the colors and the frames have to play well together. Not so easy…

Fingers crossed we started the process, which was complicated and organized at the same time by panel molding. No measuring took place, after all this would be and look random. The process was simple - hold this, stand back and look. In the end, I was surprised - it looked great.

I’ve broadened my horizons… Here is some collaging inspiration from Elle Décor and NY Spaces.

No comments: