Monday, January 10, 2011

Just Grand…


I am always drawn to old staircases, especially ones with metal railings and curves. They’re so elegant and beautiful...

I’ve never had an occasion to do one, but have always wondered if I did, could you work with a railing found in a salvage yard or would you be making one from scratch? I’m not sure. In my building no vertical combinations have ever been done, just lofts. Hopefully one day someone will. I would love to try…. blocking from mind all the red tape and expense.

It seems funny a second level would be rare in apartment living, but in Manhattan it is. Many old buldings were never built with stairs in mind, and space is always an issue. My niece came to stay with me when I first moved to NYC. At that time I was living in a studio – one room and that was it. She asked, Aunt Kelly, where is your upstairs? Yeah, where was it? After all, I had one in my row house in Baltimore. Eventually the apartment above me sold and the owner asked if I was interested. At the time, it seemed too far out of my realm of possibilities, but thinking back, it would have been fantastic...

In the burbs stairs are everywhere, but few are this beautiful or imaginative. In this current issue of AD, Ralph Lauren’s new store on Madison is featured. I blogged about it just after it opened. The staircase is stunning. Here is an image from my architecture file – the largest of my save files. The second is in Kelly Wearstler’s entrance.

Just imagine yourself walking down one of these, or floating more like it - just grand…

No comments: