Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Go...




On Fridays throughout the year I have a friend I meet for afternoon tea. We plan our teas well in advance and go somewhere new each time. These are some of my absolute favorite days…

This time we went to the Crosby Street Hotel. I had seen pictures and wrote previously about the lighting, but had not yet been. Well, it’s a keeper….

A modern vintage eclectic mix, it’s all about color and layers of little details that kept my attention from minute one. Just inside the bar/dining area is a very large Venetian mirror. It had me from the get go - the biggest one I’ve seen. And like art, each chair had a unique motif stitched on the back, complemented by fabric that looked appliquéd by hand. The lights are cool too. Hung in clusters, the 60’s spun pendants bring in color and a casual happy vibe. But don’t stop there... Wander over to the other side of the lobby, and there’s a stylish lounging den with two fireplaces – wintertime happiness.

Even the trip to the bathroom was fun. It was several flights below, but the walls were upholstered in a hand-drawn looking pattern that was interesting all the way down to a pink upholstered chair in the ladies room – the ultimate in girly. From flea market collections to modern art, it’s all there together, and nothing is predictable or cookie cutter.

The building is new but “well done new” in a way that actually pulls off looking like it’s been there a while. Wide plank hardwoods and oversized casement windows and doors give it a converted warehouse-like feel. But first things first: the windows – they tilt open for fresh air and BTW they’re all the way up on all sides. Clearly this space is all about bringing the outside in. Did I mention there’s an interior court yard that’s accessible from every room? Imagine this at night lit by candles and driftwood spheres…amazing.

Go for the tea, Go for a drink, or Go for the design. I bet the rooms would be fun to stay too. Here are two of them, all unique. With so many places here in NYC, you don’t always make repeat visits, but this is an exception worth going back to… I can’t wait for my sister to come - we’re there.

1 comment:

kelly giesen said...

BTW if you watch Rachel Zoe, they stayed here during fashion week. I was trying to see around her and check out the design whenever I could - surely nothing she wouldn't do if something fashion-related was in view.