Sunday, April 25, 2010

Plaster Me Pretty…


Plaster details always draw me in. I love the way they look but have never had them, well until now…

In the begining I ordered several architectural crown moldings and friezes, plaster being one of the options. As each arrived, it was fun to line them up and compare them head to head. Overall the decision was not a hard one to make - not one came close to the look of plaster. My contractor and friends weighed in - plaster hands down.

In my last renovation my contractor wanted nothing to do with plaster – believe me I tried, but since I cannot hang it myself, I chose something else. This time I tried again and he didn’t say no. Yes, he's up for the challenge... The cost was another surprise. Ironically the price per foot is about the same as the other options I considered.

So now that I decided on plaster, what’s the plan?

After weighing my options, I settled on a mix: crown, a frieze, rosettes and garland. The living and bath room get the crown, and the bedroom a ceiling mounted frieze. Smaller details like rosettes and garland will be applied to the ceiling to create a series of secondary designs. See for yourself – the middle image is a sample of what I chose.

My order is being custom poured as we speak, and will be here in a couple weeks – not bad. I can’t wait to see the results. This experiment could go one of two ways: either I do it again and again or never ever again….that truly remains to be seen, but either way I'm excited to try...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Love architectural accents like plaster, it makes such a statement! Can't wait to see the results!

Dreams of Perfection said...

You just know where to put all the goodness in your home! I love all the accents you choose. I can't wait to see how everything is coming along in your home!

And yes all the !!! are necessary, your designs are that good :o)

Friend_on_12 said...

This renovation is going to be your crown jewel; I cannot wait to see the plaster detailing!
It's amazing how many great ideas come from this blog; you are so generous to share them.