Thursday, March 25, 2010

Experiencing the Domino Effect...


In every renovation I run into the Domino Effect. You cannot do this until you do that, and you cannot do that until yet another this is done first. And so on, and so on…

I’m there yet again…

Here is a recap of how this happens:

I can’t hang the bathroom mirror until the tile around it, which goes up to the ceiling, is in. This is dependant on crown which must go up first, and since it's plaster and requires custom fabrication, there's a wait - and it’s not here. Furthermore the light fixture can't go up until the mirror is hung on the wall first. Then wall molding, then paint...

Join the queue...

The same is true for the kitchen – I’m waiting for my interior window to be installed over the stove, which is tricky. Furthermore the stove that was “in stock” is now mysteriously on back-order, so the counters and backsplash are essentially on backorder too. The pantry is on hold until the electrical work is done, and the ceilings are open for the same reason too - not pretty.

In the bedroom – more of the same… My plaster ceiling freeze is holding up the installation of the wallpaper, which needs to be hung before the art is layered on top, after which my starburst chandelier can also go in.

It’s a waiting game - not funny, but almost. So could I have avoided all of this by ordering earlier?

In Manhattan this is a challenge. You can’t order everything in the beginning, otherwise it fills the space and my contractors have no place to do the actual work - a catch 22 for sure. Other risks – things get misplaced or even worse, broken. And sometimes the wrong item arrives and returning it later on is difficult. I’ve learned all of this in previous renovations, so believe me I know….

BUT once the crown goes in, everything else should follow – at least I think so. Which brings me the reason for this post. I have received comments from readers about wanting to see pictures…clearly with all the “waiting” going on here, nothing is finished or nearly pretty enough to see, but eventually as the dominos fall in the right direction, it will be.

PS: Ironically, and although not intended, this Hermes ad on the back of Elle Décor says it all…

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Kelly, you need to write a book about your reno experience. I would buy it! I'll keep my fingers crossed everything falls into place soon.

Kelly Giesen said...

Thank you! I certainly have enough stories for a book...