Sunday, June 28, 2009

Pretty Pretty Hardware...





Often overlooked, hardware is a maker or breaker. Most people see hardware as an after thought rather than an asset. I always spend time on mine, as this is a detail that gets attention. I consider the hardware the jewelry on any door. It certainly sparkles like platinum and diamonds...

There is something about the way a quality knob feels that does not compare to anything else. You can feel the quality in the palm of your hand - worth every penny.

The hardware in my space is vintage and each piece is unique and different. Most of it was gold and I wanted sliver, so I sent it off to a plater to give it new life. Old hardware is pretty but it comes with its share of headaches. You can try 20 knobs with one rosette to find a match, and seldom do you find a set with all the pieces. I kid you not, I have a box full... Two sets of oval Plaza Hotel door knobs await some rework by a professional before I can get them to work. I also have several metal ones with pretty embossing that need "something".

This time I may to try and make it easier on myself and go new, without compromising on style. Here is some beautiful hardware from Baxter. I saw it in an AD and went to see it in person. WOW was I impressed, but getting something this pretty means expensive. Baldwin also came out with a couture collection which I have seen in magazines, but the pictures I found fell short so I did not include them here. Check out the clear bubble glass ones from Anthropologie online - very cool. I could not fit the link here so go to: (home, decorating, hardware,bubble glass door knob, the clear one).

http://www.anthropologie.com/anthro/index.jsp

The proof is in the pudding or in this case the cake:
One of my favorite bakeries in the city is Lady M on 78th and Madison. You know you've come to a special place the minute you hit the door. The knob is very large scale, shiny chrome, and has a big letter M in the middle. Talk about a first and lasting impression! Clearly they know the experience is all in the details. And the cakes - go there and see for yourself...

2 comments:

Dream Mom said...

Wow, that is really pretty. I love beautiful things and the hardware design is very intricate. It reminds me of the difference between bone china and porcelain china; you get more detail and a certain crispness in design on bone china. You are correct as well, you can "feel" the difference in a quality knob.

The first thing my sister does when she buys a new home is to replace the doorknobs. The reason is she likes the way it feels when she reaches for the door.

Would love to see a picture of the bakery doorknob.

Kelly Giesen said...

I agree... I will try and snap a picture the Lady M door the next time I am in.